Purpose Statement … Missional Directions
The Central States Synod, gathered in assembly in June 2008, was introduced to the new purpose statement and its missional directions. After several years of discussion and a year of intense grass-roots input, Changed by Love, Sent in Love to Serve has become our new purpose statement. It is supported by four missional directions that describe how we will put this statement into practice.
The directions focus our work on:
- Igniting spiritual renewal;
- Raising up leaders of all ages for the church;
- Building bridges across the differences that divide our society; and
- Inspiring and equipping people to be a part of what God is up to in their everyday lives.
Watch for more information and resources on the purpose statement and missional directions provided thoughout the year.
Quick Facts about Central States Synod
- One of 65 synods in the ELCA
- One of six synods in Region 4
- Synod territory: states of Kansas and Missouri
- Divided into 10 Area Ministries
- Members: 60,000 baptized members
- Congregations: 187; Synodically Authorized Worshiping Communities: 2
- Ordained and lay rostered ministers: 351
- Candidates for ordained and rostered lay ministry: 33
- Companion Synods/Churches: Evangelical Lutheran Church of Papua New Guinea-Kate District; Evangelical Lutheran Church of Russia and Other States; North Carolina Synod, ELCA